Recommended for Key Stage 4 (ages 14+)
Join Bradford actor Mez Galaria as she counts down the top ten most powerful women in Shakespeare’s works, explaining each of the choices and giving short quotes and backgrounds on the plays they feature in. The script for this film has been written by Carnegie Medal-winning author Geraldine McCaughrean, who has written a collection of short stories based around Shakespeare’s plays.
To download an education pack with resources for this event, click here.
If you have enjoyed this film, why not try these activities:
- Read this list of sixteenth and seventeenth century quotations about the role of women.
- How do you think the role of women has changed since these times?
- Watch this short video Women in Shakespeare from BBC Teach. The video discusses Othello, Romeo and Juliet and Macbeth
- What do you think Shakespeare’s views on women were?
- Find out more about the plays you are most interested in by checking out these activity toolkits from the Royal Shakespeare Company.